🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

gradient background

Started by
2 comments, last by llvllatrix 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi everybody, I am trying to make a gradient background for a 3D view, using smooth blending. I try to make the upper points with a color, and bottom points with another one. //... do some initialization and 3D drawing // clear the color and depth buffers glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); glEnable(GL_LIGHTING); glPushMatrix(); // switch to projection mode glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); // save previous matrix which contains the //settings for the perspective projection glPushMatrix(); // reset matrix glLoadIdentity(); // set a 2D orthographic projection gluOrtho2D(0, width, 0, height); // invert the y axis, down is positive glScalef(1, -1, 1); // mover the origin from the bottom left corner // to the upper left corner glTranslatef(0, -height, 0); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glPushMatrix(); glLoadIdentity(); glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH); glEnable(GL_LIGHTING); float curcol[3]; glGetFloatv(GL_CURRENT_COLOR,curcol); // glColor3f(1.0, 0.0, 0.0); glGetFloatv(GL_CURRENT_COLOR,curcol); glBegin(GL_QUADS); glColor3i(1,0,0); glVertex2i(0,0); glVertex2i(0,height); glColor3i(0,1,0); glVertex2i(width,height); glVertex2i(width,0); glEnd(); glGetFloatv(GL_CURRENT_COLOR,curcol); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glPopMatrix(); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glPopMatrix(); /////////////////////////// The problem is that the color never changes. For examples if the last color i was using when doing the 3D drawing was blue. I get the background as a blue rectangle ( although i am using different colors to draw it). As you u see in the code i am using glGetFloatv(GL_CURRENT_COLOR,curcol); to make sure that the color really changes. Thanx in advance
Advertisement
ok first, disable lighting, lighting on a background is a bad thing.

second, glColor3i(1,0,0); is not red it's black, try usingl glColor3f instead
Hi lc_overlord;

Thanx for replying. I already tried the glColor3f thing, and it didn't work. As you see in my code i use
glGetFloatv(GL_CURRENT_COLOR,curcol);
to make sure the current color has changed to the value that i want, and although i find it changed the rectangle is drawn with the last color used before this code segment start being executed.
Thanx anyway

Try (as per lc_overlord's suggestion):

glDisable(GL_LIGHTING);glBegin(GL_QUADS);    glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);    glVertex2i(0,0);    glVertex2i(0,height);    glColor3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);    glVertex2i(width,height);    glVertex2i(width,0);glEnd();

Cheers,
- llvllatrix

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement