🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SimplePeer DX8

Started by
4 comments, last by Possibility 23 years, 5 months ago
I going threw the SimplePeer example in the DX8 SDK, and i understand most of it, except for the windows message boxes, using the debugger and going threw the program line by line, i found the exactly where it opens for the first dialog box, asking for you name and which type of connection (ipx, tcp/ip ect...)

// Display the multiplayer connect dialog box.

DialogBox( m_hInst, MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_MULTIPLAYER_CONNECT),
                           NULL, (DLGPROC) StaticConnectionsDlgProc );

now, i know i how to look at the resouce window and can see the window that pops up, but i cant determine what happens in there. Some how the player name is set and a list of available connection types is displayed and one is chosen. Where is the code at for how that is done and what exactly is happening in that Dialog box. My ultimate goes is to get rid of them stinking dialog boxes, they have no business in a full screen program which i have written. Thanks if anyone can help me. Possibility
Advertisement
Here is the dailog box i am talking about:

but where do you find out on what this dialog box is doing?

Possibility
Everything that dialog box does is in the sub routine

StaticConnectionsDlgProc

The last part of the message call is the name of the routine that''s used to process it. The second part defines what dialog box to display.

Most of what it does is precompiled in the DLL files you include with your project.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com
Thanks, I think i am able to understand it now.

What i dont understand is why the skd examples have to use all of these stupid dialog boxes, they are totally confusing and very hard to reverse engineer. I would pay 50 bucks for a good book that teaches me how to connect with DX8 and make multiplayer games. Anyone know of any?

Possibility
The dialog boxes simply fill a structure, if i recall correctly. You can fill the structure using some other code, if you''d like. However, you''re going to have to write your own GUI if you don''t want to use the dialog boxes. (or read the info from a file or something.)

Just find the part that calls the dialog box and replace it with your own structure filling code. . . but i guess you have to understand vaguely how the dialog works in order to figure out how the structure is supposed to be filled, but i''m sure you can figure itout.

DmGoober
Alexander "DmGoober" Jhinalexjh@online.microsoft.com[Warning! This email account is not attended. All comments are the opinions of an individual employee and are not representative of Microsoft Corporation.]
quote:
I would pay 50 bucks for a good book that teaches me how to connect with DX8 and make multiplayer games. Anyone know of any?

Hehe, they''re aren''t any good DP4 books - I won''t expect any decent DP8 books for some time to come... ''less LaMonthe decide to add a networking chapter to Gurus Vol2.

What do you find so difficult with the dialogs?
The trouble I had was configuring a connection without using a lobby - they use dialogs built into DP, one''s you don''t get to see the Proc code for

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement