🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Penetration and Spoofing

Started by
13 comments, last by nes8bit 23 years, 5 months ago
Nope. Firewalls can transparently handle outgoing TCP/IP-connections, but the firewall has to be setup for in-coming ones. So with two firewalls, even TCP/IP will fail.

cu,
Prefect

---
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Advertisement
Damn it. There has to be a firewall-firewall connection model. Something that doesn''t use a 3rd connection.

---------------------------
"Be like china! Use linux!" - TANSTAAFL
>> There has to be a firewall-firewall connection model. Something that doesn''t use a 3rd connection. >>

Actually, many people who have studied peer to peer technology has recognized that true peer to peer technology will have great problems as more and more people end up behind firewalls. After all, it''s the job of most NAT firewalls to keep computers safe by blocking any traffic that does not belong to connections that were not initiated by computers on the internal network. I remember reading an article about this problem where one of the engineers suggested that the problem would be the perfect subject for a doctoral thesis. So... there does not necessarily have to be a firewall-firewall connection model.

Henry
I found a few firewall penetration documents on astalavista.com, but I don''t think it''s worth that much trouble.

---------------------------
"Be like china! Use linux!" - TANSTAAFL
Yep Henry (aka AP ), that''s true. I reckon the solution would be some kind of controlled "Loose TCP/IP" that lets you specify some source ports that will, when opened, automatically let incoming TCP-connections through. Hmm.. this will get complicated. Plus, you can''t do anything about it right now..

cu,
Prefect

---
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement