🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I need some help

Started by
6 comments, last by Sentinal84 23 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I am currently working on a multi-player game that uses Macromedia Flash 5''s xml socket functions to open a connection to a server and the server relays information between 2 (and only 2) players. The server will be running on unix or Linux (proly. Unix). The problem that I am having is that I need to make a server program that can allow for multiple 2-player games to be controled by the same server. In other words, there would only be one server on the planet controling, say, 1000 two-player games. Is there a way to do that? Is there a way to do that easily? N.E.~way, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know, and I will be sure to give you credit if I use your idea. Please send any responses to Sentinal84@hotmail.com Thank you again, Thomas Luce
Advertisement
I''m not familiar with the Macromedia Flash socket functions - having said that, If they emulate or are true sockets then you should be able to write a your master server with straight socket code.

I would suggest using Java if your going to be doing it on unix. Java''s networking is a snap... I''m sure that if you looked around you could find some examples of what your wanting to do.

I don''t normally tell people to use Java for anything... but, in this instance - I think it may be a good soloution.

Let me know if you need some help - I have a some example Java code for a simple server.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
You may have issues trying to have one server handle 2000 gaming sockets. It may be better to have the server act as a lobby, and one of two players PC acts as the actual game server.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
would there be a way to do that without having people need to download extra software? One of the big ideas of the game that I are shooting for is the idea that people can just log onto the internet without any extra software (except for the flash plugin, of course) and be able to play.
If this is not possible, well it is still an option.... I think I can work something out.

Thanx,
Thomas
How featured are the sockets in Flash 5?

I think that is the dependency here.... if they are fairly full featured you should be able to do what your wanting.

Again, I don''t do flash so, I can''t help you there.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
The sockets are fairly full featured. They allow you to make connections to any computer that has a server program running, recieve/send info, etc. There are only two limitations1) all the information sent and recieved has to be in XML format (no big woop) and (2) it cannot act as a server.

Any ideas?

--Thomas
#2 is big limitation, and prevents the idea I suggested.

In theory you could have one server link everybody up, it would need to create a simple map that holds which recv socket is playing against want other recv socket, so everything that comes in on the one goes out the other.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
yeah, I had a feeling that this would be the case. I think that what I am going to end up doing is making a server that does just that. The only challenge that I can see is making it run efficiently enough to not bog down the server machine, and so that it can send all the infor between all these games quickly enough to at least fake a real time game...

Well, thanx for all your help and advice people! C''ya

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement