🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

drawing in photoshop or similar

Started by
1 comment, last by a38750 23 years, 7 months ago
I''ve read all these tutorials where artists tell you not to use filters. Some say they are evil and shouldn''t ever be used, others say use sparingly. I''m mainly a programmer, and here are my 2 ways of making textures: 1) Add noise. Play with filters and layers until it looks nice. Save. 2) Go out and take pictures of stuff. Scan in. Touch up. I haven''t really been able to test my photos well, all I can say is that they look pretty bland in my 3ds max scenes. So, my question is: do "proper" computer artists do wierd magic with the paint tool ie. pixel per pixel, or else how do they draw textures? Are photos good enough? Cheers, Frank
Advertisement
i would say, for me personally.. i do whatever looks nice.. if it means using a hundred filters, i do that, if it means use none, i do that. Usually it''s subtle things that make a picture look cool.

I use a combination of vector art, and bitmap art
vector=corel draw or adobe illustrator
bitmap= corel photpaint/paint shop pro/adobe photoshop.

I can usually make pretty convincing textures in corel draw, which makes it easy to make perfectly sized items, because of the snap to grid feature. so for instance i can create a window frame around a window that is perfectly square. Usually i create a ''wireframe'' version of the texture in corel draw, and save it.

then load it into corel photopaint and do all of the fountain fills of texture, and lighting effects.

i assume most ''professional'' artists use a somewhat similar technique using illustrator and photoshop instead of corel products.

but i personally prefer the corel products, because they are created with a PC mindset as to how the program functions, and the adobe products seem to be written with a mac mindset in mind, and my brain doesn''t think in mac

No More Clones!
Stop The Madness!
frankd Maybe you could post in the Mini contest thread I posted ealier last week, I posted a method for doing textures. You could post examples of your work ?

As for filters, they are tools, nothing more, nothing less. USe them if they help you, dont use them "jsut because it looks cool" (I am thinking of the typical lens flare, that you can spot from miles away ...)
In two years of intense Photoshoping, the filters I use on a regular basis are Gaussian blur, and Noise. The emboss is useful to create the impression of bumpmapping, but I use it only for textures. The rest I use only when needed (The Spatter is interesting to give more texture to my painting).

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement