🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can you help? (A call to INDIE devlopers)

Started by
21 comments, last by Aman 23 years, 8 months ago
WHOOO! Looks like I''m gettin'' a littlebit fame in my ol'' days. Tell this my girlfriend though.

More pages? Well, I''ll think about it. I thought I''d already bore my visitors to death with the pages I have.

*slaps himself*
k, now I am serious.

So let''s see what other questions ya asked here.

> Hows the shareware way going for you
Very bad. I didn''t had the time to advertise it full scale. Maybe it''s just me, but I honestly think there are too many shareware games out there. My suggestion for everyone is to go out and try to find a publisher. Be careful though! There are huge differences. Some offer you for the same game a stand-alone CD and other want to package it with 40 or 50 games together.

> Are you just going by word of mouth, or are you pushing the > > products anywhere?
Word of mouth and banner exchange. If everyone has a better idea of pushing a product without spending money, let me know!

> Now I know I''m probably not going to get an answer to this but
> (you can e-mail it to me) Hows the volume. Are they moving?
Sorry. This is confidential and I can''t answer it. If you want to know what you can expect look at the sites of budget publishers or ask them directly what volumes you could expect.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
My experience of shareware (limited at best) is that its very hard to sell a reasonable number of products without promoting it which means money.
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
I think the correct link to Shareware Professionals is www.asp-shareware.org (Not that I wasn''t interested in the American Society of Primatologists at asp.org )
Heh RM, your getting old in your time
You also did that on the other post.
I would like to publicly apologise for my post about Crystal Interactive. Since posting that view point they have contacted me by email and explained that they simply didnt get the email, and answered my question too. It would seem I am a little too quick to judge, they arent Micro$oft after all
“If you try and please everyone, you won’t please anyone.”
WOW,

Thanks to everyone. The response has been great.

Im just getting setup for this journey and I want to get
everything as clear as possable ahead of time. I like
to have a "long range forcast" so to say (about 1½ years).
So far I think I''m leaning towards going the Demo/Shareware route.

Pretty much all my questions have been answered except one,
and its a biggie - most cant answer - nda - I guess, but i''ll ask anyways

volume, volume, volume, ...
over x amount of
time, time, time, time, ...
times
BILLS, BILLS, BILLS, ...
subtracted from
return, return, return, ...
equals
Can I fund my next project?

seriously

I dont have to pitch a buisness proposal to the bank, But I do have to justify
it to my wife, and family.
I don''t need to make a living off of it. Just enough to justify it. (see above post)

I''ll am asking, is, ballparks, not specifics, friend of a friend sh^t.
"I heard X sold 1k units last year of there puppy jumper game."
-OR-
"I made 10k from a two year run on my Windows 52pickup Card game"
-OR-
"I got my game on a 100 game value CD, Made a $100 of that deal"
-OR-
"What the hell you talking about making money, I sold 10 units over the past year,
and it cost me 1k for the website and merchaint acount, damn I payed them $100 bucks each to take the game!"

Just something, (as close to reality as possable, baring NDA)

Thanks again for the time everyone has taken.

.Aman.
Its better to be silent and thought a foolthen to speak and remove all doubt.
You need to justify having a hobby?

You say it''s not to get income. Then you shouldn''t need more justification (unless you spend lots and lots of time on it beside your normal job

If you look for the right tools, you can start out with little investment, and then just see what happens. I develop currently using Borland C++ Builder (let''s not start any ''which programming language is best'' wars please and I bought version 3 just when 4 was released, so I paid only about $50 for it.

It still works for me, so there is no need to upgrade just yet.

Then for installer I use the free ''inno setup'' (very good!)

I use notepad and a few custom ''compilers'' for writing my website. Ok, so it doesn''t look like I paid a webdesigner a million bucks for it - but that''s just it, I didn''t!

As long as I enjoy programming, and can do it without too much investment I will continue. Sure it would be good to make some money, but keep in mind that most other hobby''s cost money anyway!

Go on, have fun! Really!

Kind regards,
Maarten Egmond.
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor
No, I do not need to justify my hobby.
I need to justify turning my hobby into a part time buisness.
I WILL have to justify cranking up the time devoted to it,
if I want to complete some polished games.
It would just be nice to be able to show wife
as well as myself whats possable, high ball, low ball, no ball.

Remember there WILL be costs, at the VERY least, setting up the buisness, and merchant account
even BEFORE you can sell the games, just so you can take orders.

.Aman.
P.S. I DO want to make some money, who doesn''t.
I just dont need to make a living off it.

.Aman.
I find it really hard to devote too much time to game development while working fulltime, doing the usual every day thing''s. Fair enough if you can keep it up over a 2 year period but it ain''t easy in my opinion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement